top of page
Work Permits

The Department of Workforce Development's Equal Rights Division (DWD) has developed a new online work permit application tool. The Division decided to pursue an online application that would be available to the parents of minors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from any computer, tablet, smartphone, or similar device. The application is live now. A parent can access the site using these instructions once a scholar has a job offer from an employer. Payment is made directly to the department through the application, using a credit or debit card, or by ACH direct withdrawal. Once the permit application process is complete, the DWD mails a paper copy of the permit directly to the employer. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Benisch, Director of Career Planning and Partnerships, at 608-690-5100.



Below are the requirements for the employment of minors.

  • A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.

  • Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.

  • 16- and 17-year-old minors do NOT need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work.

bottom of page